We met with Dr. V and discussed Becky’s operation. It’s a lot of information to process and I hope to understand things better in the coming days.
Becky returned from surgery a few hours ago.
Dr. V drew this picture which is an aerial view, looking down on Becky’s heart. The dark, colored-in circle is the VSD, or hole, that needed to be patched. The smaller, open circle above that represents the actual size of the hole. The larger, open circle to the left of that one is the size of the actual patch. This patch was placed over the VSD and is held in place by 14 sutures. Greta summed it up best with her observation of this drawing: we don’t exactly know what everything in the picture means. But it’s all abnormal.
A few other things that Drs. V and E reviewed with us:
- One of the leaflets of the tricuspid valve was torn. They were able to pull the leaflet back to fix the tricuspid valve. They were also able to get a better view of the VSD.
- There may be some continued regurgitation from the tricuspid valve but this should be minimal to trivial.
- Dr. V thinks there is another VSD in the heart. But it is not worth putting her back under to investigate. It will most likely not change in size and will hopefully get smaller.
- There was some atrial tissue obstructing the pulmonary veins. This tissue was removed, opening up these vessels.
- Since Becky is six weeks older since the last operation, her tissues are tighter. This should help the repair to hold better as the sutures have something stronger to anchor to.
- Dr. V hopes that things will be good for a while. He cautioned me that kids with complex AV canals always need close monitoring.
- The echo is very reassuring and the surgeons are pleased with today’s result.
Dr. V closed by telling me a story from the OR. One of the nurses mentioned during the surgery that I am nice parent. And Dr. V said of course, that explains everything. Because a return to the OR usually happens to the nice parents. While I appreciate the compliment, I’m tempted to trade in a little niceness for some pizza and a movie at home tonight.
*As with the last surgery, I will err on the side of caution when posting pictures, not wanting to disturb anyone.