I’ve been hard pressed to post recently. It’s been a particularly busy time and we just finished celebrating Greta’s college graduation. Here’s a little eye candy from last weekend. Becky loved the piñata.
This post confirms that we are alive and well. And still eating.
I’m a creature of habit and tend to eat the same meals. At least for breakfast and lunch. Recently, time has been in short supply and my typical oatmeal breakfast isn’t particularly portable. I’ve rediscovered these tasty seven grain egg bites which are a perfect grab and go option.
I adapted this recipe from this post. My version streamlines the process by eliminating the step of cooking quinoa from scratch. Who has time for that? It’s super simple and quick. I usually have all ingredients on hand from my local Aldi.
Break 8 eggs into a bowl. Beat to break up yolks and incorporate some air.
Add the 7-grains package Stir together, separating any lumps.
Shred 1/2 a block of cheese. Add to the mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
Cook frozen broccoli package for about 4 minutes. Dice in bite size pieces. Dice 2 green onions (both green and white parts). Add broccoli and onions into mixture.
Stir together and ladle into muffin tin. I use a Texas size muffin pan. Fill to the top as it will compact down as it bakes. This recipe make 6 of these large muffins.
Cook at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. The mixture should be set and solid when done. Cool in pan and then transfer to a wire rack. Store in refrigerator or freeze. Reheat or enjoy at room temperature.
My food photography skills leave something to be desired. But the taste of these little gems should not disappoint.
Seven Grain Egg Bites
Seven grain precooked pouch
1/2 brick of cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
Salt and pepper
1 package frozen broccoli, cooked and chopped
2 green onions
- Preheat the oven to 350. If using a muffin pan that needs greasing, spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Add precooked seven grain package, breaking up any clumps.
- Shred cheese, adding about 2 cups. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook frozen broccoli and chop. Add to egg mixture.
- Dice green onions (both white and green parts). Add to egg mixture.
- Stir well to combine.
- Ladle the mixture into muffin pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove to a rack to cool.
Other flavor combinations
- Cooked ground turkey, broccoli, sharp cheddar
- Ham, swiss, spinach
- Bacon, goat cheese, bell pepper